Why should you choose microfibre towels over cotton towels?
When it comes to towels there are multiple different materials which can be used, for example your traditional old school cotton towel and then microfibre towel which has become the most popular choice now for gym and beach goers. But have you ever wondered what is the actual difference between these two materials and why microfibre towels are preferred?
- Dry Faster: One of the main benefits of microfibre towels is that they dry very quickly so you can use your towel over and over again without worrying about it staying damp. The reason for this is because the fibres in microfibre towels are finer and more densely packed than those in cotton towels, allowing for more efficient water transfer and therefore are less likely to retain moisture so can dry a lot quicker. This is especially important in a gym setting, where moisture and bacteria can easily build up on towels and then also when your in and out of the water at the beach or the pool
- Odour Free: As a result of microfibre towels drying faster they are less prone to developing unpleasant odours therefore can be used multiple times before needing to be washed unlike cotton towels. This is because cotton towels are made out of thicker fibres therefore are more likely to retain moisture which takes them a lot longer to dry. This unfortunately provides the perfect breeding ground for bacteria which is why cotton towels can start to develop that musty smell sometimes even after your first use .
- Better Absorbency: Microfibre towels are highly absorbent, they can absorb up to 3-5 times the amount of liquid in comparison to cotton towels of the same weight and size. This makes them ideal for use during workouts or for drying off after a shower or swim.
- More Compact And Lightweight: Microfibre towels are lighter and more compact than cotton towels as they fold up anywhere between 2-3 times smaller, making them easy to pack and carry anywhere. This is especially useful for if you're headed to the beach, gym, travelling or even camping when you don’t want to add unnecessary bulk or weight to your bag.
- Softer: Despite being made from synthetic fibres, microfibre towels are incredibly soft and gentle on the skin. This makes them a comfortable choice for people with sensitive skin or allergies to certain materials, who may be prone to irritation from rough or abrasive towels.
So next time you're choosing a towel, remember that microfibre towels offer a number of benefits over cotton towels which make them the leading towel in sports, exercise, beach and travel, as well as for everyday use in the home.